FREEDOM OF INFORMATION
What is Freedom of Information?
Under FOI you have a right to:
- access records held by a Government Department or certain public bodies
- request correction of personal information relating to you held by a Government Department or certain public bodies where it is inaccurate, incomplete or misleading
- obtain reasons for a decision made by a Government Department or certain public bodies where the decision affects you
What records can I ask for under FOI?
- any records relating to you personally, whenever created
- all other records created after 21 April, 1998
A ‘record’ can be a paper document, information held on computer, printouts, maps, plans, microfilm, microfiche, audio-visual material, etc.
You do not have to give a reason as to why you want access to particular records, and the Government department or body concerned must give you an explanation if it refuses you access to any record that you have looked for. A decision on your FOI application must normally be made within 20 working days.
If you have a specific question on making an FOI request to Oberstown Children Detention Campus, please contact us at the details on the right.
How do I make an FOI request?
- You must make a request in writing.
- You must state that the request is being made under the Freedom of Information Act 2014.
- You must state clearly the exact records/information being requested, supplying as much detail (i.e. service location, dates etc.) as possible.
- You must state clearly the manner in which access is sought, for example, to view the original at Oberstown Children Detention Campus or to receive photocopies of the original, hear / view audiovisual record, obtain a copy of a computer disk or other electronic device etc.
- Make sure you sign the letter.
- Supply proof of identity in the case of personal information.
- We will accept requests by letter, fax, e-mail.
Send the FOI Request to the most appropriate person listed.
Action of Oberstown Children Detention Campus
- All staff will be happy to assist you in making your FOI application.
- You will receive an acknowledgment of the request within 10 working days.
- Oberstown Children Detention Campus will issue a decision to you within 20 working days upon receipt of the request.
- Notification will be sent to you if an extension is necessary to facilitate the completion of the request.
- If you are unhappy with the decision made, you may send an appeal to the Internal Reviewer, named in the Decision Letter. This review is independent of the initial Decision Maker’s decision.
- Acknowledgment of receipt of the appeal will be sent to you within 5 working days.
- A completed decision on your appeal will be sent to you within 15 working days.
- If you are unhappy with the Internal Reviewer’s decision you may appeal directly to the Information Commissioner (www.irlgov.ie/oic) where an independent review of the matter will be carried out
FOI Contact Details
All requests under the FOI Acts should be addressed to:
Information Access Officer
Oberstown Children Detention Campus,
Lusk, Co Dublin
Phone: + 353 (0) 1 852 6400